- Bookshop: Antiquarian Bookshop Buddenbrooks, Inc. (United States)
- Publishing year: 1816; 1820; 1823; 1840
- Publisher: Printed by and for Nichols, Son, and Bentley, Red Lion Passage, Fleet Stree; and E. Andrews, Durham; for J.B. Nichols and Son and Mrs. Andrews
- Shipment weight: 750 g
- Publishing place: London
4 volumes. First Edition of each volume. A copy with fine provenance having been collected and owned by George Lord Hylton, with his coat of arms as bookplate. Illustrated throughout with fine full-page folio engravings, 76 of views, 5 of portraits and additional cuts within the text. Super Folio, 17 1/4" x 11", beautifully bound in full period calf over thick boards, the spine panels with wide raised bands elaborately tooled and ruled in gilt, the compartments richly gilt with panels filled with floral tooling in an all-over pattern gilt, contrasting tan and green morocco lettering labels richly gilt decorated and lettered, another compartment dated in gilt, the covers with triple gilt fillet borders enclosing a roll-tooled elaborate border in blind, the board edges fully gilt tooled, the turnovers richly and thickly gilt, fine contemporary marbled end-leaves, all edges marbled to match. , , clxvi [General History and Appendix], iv, 318 + plates; iv, 408, [1, List of Plates] + plates; iv, 431, errata + plates; iv, -98 Memoirs of Surtees; 164, 168, [clxvii]-cloxxvi + errata, 169-173, Index, List of Plates, Directions to the Binder pp. Complete A superior set in absolutely fine condition, beautifully preserved, the bindings strong and very handsome indeed, the text-blocks and engraved plates all beautifully preserved with very little evidence of age or use, the leaves beautifully printed, rich in colour, crisp and clean and unpressed, only occasionally with a bit of mellowing to the edges. A beautiful set of this richly illustrated, important and comprehensive history. FIRST EDITION IN BEAUTIFUL CONDITION OF THIS RICHLY ILLUSTRATED AND HISTORICALLY IMPORTANT AND COMPREHENSIVE WORK. NEARLY THIRTY YEARS IN THE MAKING, A MAGNIFICENT TESTAMENT TO SURTEES' INTELLECTUAL, ACADEMIC AND LITERARY SKILLS. The plates, all 81 of them are rich and beautifully engraved, the cuts within the text also elaborately rendered and finely engraved. The books describe the 21 parishes and chapelries of Chester ward in the north of the county, including Gateshead, Jarrow and other parts of present-day urban Tyneside. Also, describes the parishes of Stockton ward, and seven of the parishes of Darlington ward as well as others. The County Palatine of Durham and Sadberge, commonly referred to as County Durham or simply Durham, is a historic county in Northern England. Until 1889, it was controlled by powers granted under the Bishopric of Durham. The county and Northumberland are also traditionally known together as Northumbria.
The boundaries stretch between the rivers Tyne and Tees. It borders four counties: Northumberland to the north, Yorkshire to the south as well as Westmorland and Cumberland to the west. Settlements with the most population in the county are Sunderland, Gateshead and Darlington.
During the Middle Ages, the county was an ecclesiastical centre due to the presence of St Cuthbert's shrine in Durham Cathedral. Durham Castle and Cathedral are UNESCO-designated World Heritage Sites. The county has a mixture of mining and farming heritage. Railway heritage is notable in the south of the county; Darlington, Shildon and Stockton.
As to Robert Surtees, the famous antiquarian, in 1802, upon the death of his father, Surtees inherited the family estate including Mainsforth Hall. Although a student of law he never practised as a lawyer, and instead devoted himself to the study of literature and antiquities. By 1804, Surtees had begun collecting material for what was to become this monumental county history, The History of Durham.
Surtees was a studious and sensitive man who did not always have good health. He was hospitable at Mainsforth, and guests included Sir Walter Scott, with whom Surtees frequently corresponded.
By 1816, the first volume of The History and Antiquities of the County Palatine of Durham was published ("compiled from original records preserved in public repositories and private collections by Robert Surtees"). Two further volumes followed and a final volume was published posthumously in 1840.
The Baron Hylton title, an ancient one, dating from 1295 was created anew in the Peerage of the United Kingdom in 1866 when the soldier and Conservative politician, Sir William Jolliffe, 1st Baronet, was made Baron Hylton of Hylton, Sunderland in the County Palatine of Durham and of Petersfield in the County of Southampton. He had already been created a Baronet, of Merstham in the County of Surrey, in 1821. He was the grandson of William Jolliffe (for many years Member of Parliament for Petersfield), and a co-heir of the original barony of Hylton through his grandmother Eleanor (the wife of William Jolliffe), daughter of Anne Hylton, sister of the eighteenth Baron of the 1295 creation.
Lord Hylton was succeeded by his second son, the second Baron. He notably represented Wells in the House of Commons as a Conservative. His son, the third Baron, also represented Wells in Parliament as a Conservative and after entering the House of Lords notably served as Captain of the Yeomen of the Guard from 1918 to 1924. His son, the fourth Baron, was Lord Lieutenant of Somerset from 1949 to 1964. As of 2017 the titles are held by the latter's eldest son, the fifth Baron. He is one of the ninety elected hereditary peers who remain in the House of Lords after the House of Lords Act of 1999. Lord Hylton sits as a cross-bencher.
The principal seat of the Hylton family was Hylton Castle, Sunderland, with a subsidiary property at Ammerdown House, near Kilmersdon, Somerset.